- Sometimes I'm made aware of just how unaware of my privilege I am. I was listening to a recent episode of Awesome Etiquette, and Daniel and Lizzie Post addressed Pokémon GO. They discussed, in part, people of color playing the game; people of (certain) color(s) have less ability to freely wander about neighborhoods looking for Pokémon than, say, I might have were I playing the game. I don't actually play it, but that's really beside the point: I can walk around pretty much where I want without people being suspicious that I might be a criminal or somehow scary because of the color of my skin. And I hadn't thought about that angle of the game at all. (And I've done quite a bit of thinking about a game I don't partake in.)
- On a much lighter note, I love Josh Clark more than I did before. I cannot remember the episode, but somewhere around "What Is Exploding Head Syndrome?" and "How Night Terrors Work," Josh brought up that he sometimes watches Murder, She Wrote. The whole time he was talking about it, I was nodding nerdily along.
- I was sorely tempted to be a complete lazybones today but some errands got me dressed and out. Actually, I wasn't being completely lazy, as I was working, but I was doing so in something loungy I wouldn't wear out in public as I sat on the couch here at home.* I had intended to work at the library today, but it opened late, so I opted to stay in. But C, who is also working, called to ask me to run an errand for him, which I did. And then I ended up taking a nice, sweaty hour-and-a-half walk on my own, while I listened to On the Media, which I love. I tend toward being lazy and eating things that aren't exactly healthy, so I'm in this constant struggle to not act in ways that will make me feel grody. I have complete faith that one day exercising and eating well will be ingrained habits and not grudging choices.
- I brushed the cats last night (for the first time in entirely too long). I could make another old-man cat out of the fur I brushed off of him. I'm always tempted to just try vacuuming his hair off of him, but I'm pretty sure that would freak him out and I'd probably end up needing stitches. (We have two cats, and they both have many nicknames. The older one, I often refer to as Old-Man Cat. The younger one, who's been in our family for a much shorter amount of time, I often refer to as Other Cat á la Annie in Overboard who refers to the twins as Twin and Other Twin.)
- This post took me entirely too long to write, especially as I had a whole library materials section that I took out to post another time. And now...back to work.
* That is one messy sentence. I know.
I'm pretty sure that I've shared this before, but it's been a while:
Murder She Wrote Song - Rocky and Balls