I should have known as I was groaning on and on in my last post that something was a bit off. Turns out I'm a bit under the weather. Oof.
I've consumed a good amount of vitamin C (in both natural and supplemental forms) and I've drunk an ocean of tea with honey. We'll see how it goes.
I don't suddenly have much less to do and I don't suddenly have a much calmer view of life, but I'm definitely in a better place than I was last night. I finally slept. Then I woke up and worked a bit. Then I napped.
If I don't freak out about everything I have to do at some point, I realize that I have time for things like making meals with my kid, reading with my kid, getting outside with my kid. (Yes, there's a common thread here. I tend to freak out about work obligations and the rest of my life tends to suffer. I braided together those different bits of my life much better today than I did yesterday.)
So, although I'm not feeling in tip-top health and although I still had a good deal of work to get done today, Pic and I donned our snow shoes and we went out for a fifteen-minute walk (that really ended up being a twenty-five minute walk).
I had to persuade Pic to go with me, but I was actually the one insisting we get back home and eat lunch. She'd have liked to have stayed out longer, leaving hand prints in the snow and and throwing snowballs in the river.
It is amazing what some sleep, fresh air, sunshine, and exercise can do. Sometimes I just need to remind myself.
P.S. We got our first big snow of the season a couple of days ago. I figured I also really needed to get out into it a bit.
This, right here, dash it all, was what I was trying to post yestereve:
* it seems we've spent as much time in the state capital lately as we've spent in our own town.
* saw more deer today
* went to a Dia de los Muertos event at the Nevada State Museum today: checked out the ofrendas, decorated sugar skulls, watched folk dancing (Pic asked for a dress like the ones we saw today and she says, "I'm going to see about some dance moves")
* hung out with friends (on our way to do more of that)
* daydreamed about home ownership (one day...)
* bought the only two cans of TJ's peppermint hot chocolate mix at the store (I wonder if they'll order me a case)
* felt relieved that while this month will be productive it won't be reproductive (at least not for me)
* didn't fail at nablopomo on the second day (posting on a borrowed mobile device)
That was it.
Oh, that last bullet point. Famous last words and all.
Anyhow, I've hours of work to do (or, rather, that I can do right now, so I'm taking advantage of that), but here's a song to keep me (and you) company:
"On the 1" by MaMuse with Dayan Kai
[video: "Ma Muse 7-24-11 'On The 1' w/ Dayan Kai"]
It's November. I had kind of forgotten about NaBloPoMo. It feels like something that belongs to past life. But, hey, I figure I might give it a go. (We'll see how long this lasts.)
I am on a bit of a tv hiatus. (I watched a good deal in the last two months, but I'm all caught up on stuff and November and December will be pretty teevee lite and pretty podcast heavy. I can (kind of) listen to podcasts and post at the same time.)
There might be something of an abundance of bits and bobs-type posts. I'm okay with that.
So, in the spirit of bits and bobs:
* O, dear Mind, the things you hold onto. I was listening to some "spooky symphonies" or something on a certain online music provider yesterday and almost immediately after one song started, I recognized it as "Night on Bald Mountain" and thought of Chernabog. I've seen Fantasia a handful of times...if that. Behold the power of music!
* A million years after I wrote about needing to buy bras, I finally got some that I think are going to work. One fits really well. One not as well. (But I already returned my first order because the super-colorful cute bras I had bought didn't fit right and I don't want to do another return.) The two I just got are a little plain-jane, blah, but, ah well. Beige. Ho hum.
But seriously, can anyone be wearing the right bra size? Because mine was seriously off. So much so that I think I've just been wearing the wrong size since forever. (Yeah, yeah, I know there's some staggering statistic regarding women wearing ill-fitting bras...)
* Pic and I have been reading Old Black Witch! together lately. I love it. I remember reading it with my mom when I was little. (I don't remember reading much with my parents (my memory is somewhat terrible, hence all the writing), but a few books stand out.)
* Pic was Hyacinth Potter (Harry's sister don't'cha know?) for Halloween. I hope she continues to create her own Halloween costumes and characters.
* I'm very much looking foward to my hair growing out several more inches. I'm almost through my Keanu Reeves-phase and I'm definitely in a Carol Brady flip-phase. Grow, mane, grow!
* Okay, that's it for now. Back to window shopping for tops on ModCloth and a podcast on ejection seats.
The last day of summer here was weirdly cold (fittingly, I also caught a cold just in time for that), but the first day of Autumn? So freaking beautiful. Cardo, Pic, and I partook in a couple of hours' worth of walking and basking in what it is we love about our family and the way we operate. Yes, basking.